ClearStar is having a “record” year, and so it seems is the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS). There were more people in attendance at the NAPBS 2017 Mid-Year Legislative and Regulatory Conference in Washington, D.C. this year than ever before. The chart-topper was the opportunity for the ClearStar Global Screening Experts to visit the hill and raise their voice along with others in our industry.
Here are some of the things we saw and learned:
1. U.S. regulations and guidance were the topics of focus for most the sessions, educating businesses on how to comply with requirements. Among the top sessions were the keynote by Frank Sesno, Correspondent, Anchor, and Washington Bureau Chief, CNN (1984-2001; 2005-2009) and Director, George Washington University’s School of Media & Public Affairs. He shared a real Washington Insider’s perspective on the relationship of the media to the government and what goes on behind the cameras.
2. Three global screening sessions were held, two of which were presented by some of ClearStar’s own Global Screening Experts. Kerstin Bagus, Director of Global Initiatives, presented on Global Data Privacy as well as Retrofitting Domestic (U.S.) Operations for Global Screening along with Andy Hellman, Managing Director of International and Strategic Initiatives.
3. Many of the conversations and sessions seemed in sync with topics being discussed on Kerstin’s Global Screening Tips. It was a surprise to see Kerstin’s dream of owning a purple sash that reads “Collection Limitation” manifest itself in the form of a gift from a subscriber. Thank you to Vu Do, Vice President of Compliance with PreCheck, Inc.! In networking with prospects, Kerstin said, “It is clear to us that screening companies, and their clients, need more than data. They want experience in selling and supporting customers in the use of the product, whether it is an ordering portal or a background check from Zimbabwe. We seem to have hit a sweet spot in talking with clients and prospects about the additional support we can provide beyond just data or portal services.”
4. ClearStar was excited to host its bi-annual ‘Innovator Dinner’ to share some much-needed face time with ClearStar Innovators. Regarding the dinner, Craig Caddell, Vice President of CRA Solutions, said, “We were honored to host 28 Innovators at our table and get to know each other better.”
5. The hottest hit of the conference was our Global Records booth and getting to distribute information about our expert global screening services in the form of genuine 45s. For a little healthy competition, a “Name That Tune” game was the final note of the conference – awarding the winner, Kristin Stafford, CEO & Managing Partner of VITAL4DATA, with a Bluetooth-enabled turntable.